Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Our Adoption Journey

In some ways it feels a little late in the game to start blogging now. But as I look back on our story up to this point I think, "Why have I not been sharing this amazing journey with anyone and everyone who may hear it?" For some things it truly is better late than never and I think this is one of those cases!  I will post more blogs later about how we got to this point, but for now I will share where we are currently.

Our happy family of five is soon to be The Seven Stahls!  In early June we received the glad news that we will be welcoming TWINS in to our family!! Seven year old siblings, a boy and a girl.  A son and a daughter.... We are so amazed and overwhelmed at this reality of ours. It has been a month now that we have known of them.  I will sit and stare at their pictures, and pray for them, and imagine being with them around the table, and smile. And I realize again these are my children.  Sometimes I try to resist that truth from sinking in because it becomes more painful each time.  Knowing that they are ours, but they are not yet ours.

It's funny... I wrote a song about seven years ago inspired by the movie Dandelion Dust (An adoption story written by Karen Kingsburry). I had heard the story from a friend of mine who was co-producing the movie and he asked me to take a stab at writing and submitting a song for it.  I did.  I remember being so moved.  When I sat down to write, the entire song came at once and I sobbed over the piano.  They didn't use the song for the movie, which I was personally fine with, but I often wondered why that song was given to me and why it had such a deep impact on me.  It felt weird that it seemed to not have any purpose outside of that moment.  And even throughout our journey so far, it hasn't really seemed to really click or connect until now.  Now I get it.  It's my song.

This is turning out to feel a little heavier than I thought...sorry.  The joy and the pain are both very real.  They are a real part of life and a real part of adoption.  The pain and sadness is there, but the joy we feel now and the joy that is set before us is truly greater than the pain. So I guess we are over-joyed! There is a bridge in the song I wrote that carries the hindsight perspective: "Now I see that it was You (God) who was holding tight to me. You are hope and You are love." Our strongest grip of hope and sacrifice made for love is nothing compared to His.  He is our joy.  He is the one who holds us together and will bring our children all the way home!


No comments:

Post a Comment